When I think of summer and when I think of dessert, my mind immediately goes to all things fruit. I would rather take big bowl of ice cream topped with fresh berries over a heavy piece of chocolate cake when the weather starts to heat up. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes we all just need a slice of cake, but a more seasonal option for your next sweet fix might be one that utilizes the best of summers’ fruit. Stone fruits are hitting their peak and pretty soon, the availability of local peaches will everywhere!
Here is a great recipe that includes fresh peaches topped with a little indulgence. I like to serve this peach crisp with a touch of vanilla ice cream for the most ideal summer dessert.
Summer Peach Crisp
· 5 cups fresh peaches- peeled, pitted and sliced
· ½ cup quick cooking oats
· ½ cup Plain Jane granola
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· ½ cup packed brown sugar
· ¼ cup butter
· 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, granola, 3 tablespoons flour, and brown sugar. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until crumbly.
- Place peach slices in an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Scatter the oat mixture over the peaches. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.